28 January, 2011

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last...

This will not be a hearts and flowers kinda post.  I'm sorry about that, but sometimes, when touched by tragedy, we must become a support system for those we've never met. 

The title of this post is a line from my favorite poem.

The Second Coming, by William Butler Yeats has come up in my life more than once.  It has meant something new to me each time.  Most recently, it has come to mind after I stumbled upon a story about a blog I used to read quite frequently.

A woman I've never met lost her husband earlier this month.  He took his life during a tragic psychotic break.  She is left with two small children and a life forever scarred by tragedy.  However this is her story, not mine. So I urge you to stop by her blog and read it for yourself. I can tell you I have been touched by this in a way that is both profound and difficult to explain.

In this post, she shares with us her words at her husband's funeral.  She urges us to speak, to look illness in the face and call it out.  To refuse silence.

I wish I could tell her that I will.  I wish I could tell her that silence will never be right for my family again.  I wish I had some witty words and clever phrases to comfort her in this...this struggle of hers.  All I can do, is pass her story along to all of you in hopes that it may help her save someone's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment