03 October, 2012

You Asked For It: Halloween Roundup #1

From the cutting room floor of my husband's party in 2009
Hey, gang!
You've been asking some really great Halloween questions (y'all are so smaht!) and I thought I'd do a set of weekly roundups.  This is the first...and probably the best.




What’s the best way to pick a theme?
I usually like to choose something that gives me room to work. I think it’s helpful to take an idea that you love and twist it a bit.  Some of my favorite themes from years past are: Monster Bash, Carnival of Souls, Malice in Wonderland.  One year, we had our own Fright Fest where we showed scary movies and served food that tied in with the films.  Just relax and have fun planning!

I love Halloween and everything terrifying.  However, some of my friends want to bring their kids to my party.  How can I be more family-friendly?
This is easy.  You’re going to have to do terrifying in an age-appropriate way.  Off the top of my head, maybe include in your invite when it’s appropriate for kids to be at your party.  Then, the adult fun could happen later in the evening.  Or, perhaps you could have some activities on hand for the littles and base them in another part of the house, accessible to their parents.  The possibilities are endless.  You know, for more on kid-friendly parties, you might check out: The Stir, Southern Living, Better Homes and Gardens…otherwise a Google search will point you in the right direction.

Is there an easy way for me to request “no slutty costumes”?  My sister lives with me and she and her friends are younger than us and would probably be more likely to pile on the slutty, if you know what I mean.
Honestly, no.  There isn’t an easy way to say that.  You can only control yourself.  But, if you’re that concerned about it, talk to her (gently and tactfully).  I just don’t think that young=slutty.

I need an idea for a killer cocktail (pun definitely intended).  Have any?
Yes.  Two, actually. 
                The Zombie:  1 oz. white rum, 1 oz. golden rum, 1 oz. spiced rum, splash Bacardi 151 (optional), 1 oz apricot brandy, 2 oz. OJ, 2 oz pineapple juice, 1 oz. lime juice, splash grenadine, 1 tsp. sugar. Combine ingredients in shaker or blend with ice.  Perfect for a collins glass. Garnish with pineapple, cherries or something more festive…
Brain Hemorrhage: 1 oz. Peach schnapps, 1-2 Tbsp Bailey’s, 1 tsp. grenadine- Float Bailey’s on the schnapps (I suggest a rocks glass) and drop the grenadine through the Bailey’s.

Favorite horror movie of all time?
Night of the Living Dead.  George A. Romero, 1968.  Totally revolutionized the zombie game, hands down.

What’s your go to Halloween costume?
Queen of Hearts.

Have a Halloween question for the next roundup?  Leave it in the comments, message me on Facebook or Twitter, or e-mail me @ goldiluxeevents@gmail.com.  I'd love to hear 'em!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment