04 October, 2012

Horrorween: Your Source For Fright

If you know me well (or, if you read this blog last October), you know I am a huge horror movie buff.  I just can’t get enough.  I love that every October we pay a little homage to fright.  In fact, some of my fondest Halloween memories include snuggling up with blankets and settling in for a night of terror.  Last year, I released a list of some of my favorites and a lot of you have asked how you can get your share of fright.  I thought I might share my yearly sources of gore.  



So, if you aren’t familiar with TCM, it’s pretty great.  It’s definitely the best channel for classic films.  I recently filled my DVR with their tribute to Marilyn Monroe.  Well, in October the station gets even better.  Every Wednesday, TCM shows classic horror films.  Now when I say classic, I mean 1969 and older.  Amazing stuff.  Last year introduced me to The Hands of Orlac (1925), a fab German silent film in which an experimental graft gives an injured pianist the hands of a murderer.  The cinematography is amazeballs and the music is even better.  This year, some of the highlights include: The Mummy (1932), Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) and The Mark of the Vampire (1935).  Frankly, there are far too many amazing movies to list, including The Devil’s Bride (1968), a film I’ve never seen.  


 AMC Fear Fest: October 13-31
This is a little more mainstream, I think, and therefore caterers to a more contemporary horror enthusiast. In other words, it’s a great place to see 1970 and newer titles.   I have seem some really amazing movies on Fear Fest, including a lot of movies my Mom wouldn’t let me watch when I was a child.  Although the lineup is chock-full of repeats, they’ve got some really great titles this year.  Personally, I’m looking forward to: Hotel Hell, The Brain Eaters, The Dark Half and Corridors of Blood.  I also intend to enjoy some of my all time favorite films, including: Bride of Frankenstein, Friday the 13th, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Puppet Master and Halloween.  They’ve also got a ton of Stephen King on the line up, which is always a good thing.  

Oh, speaking of AMC, I want to remind you that the new season of Walking Dead starts. next. week.  Icoulddie!

You know, all this terrifying awesomeness should be inspiring you to plan a Fright Fest of your own.  Pick a night, grab some friends, snacks, festive drinks and settle in for fear.  Nothin’ to it!  

All photos via their networks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment