23 November, 2010

From the Trenches: Hair Affair


E:  Hey!  I am trying to book with a stylist for the big day.  How can I make sure everything goes smoothly?
Thanks

Hello, doll!  Thanks for reading.  Now on to your question:

I don't know if it's my theatre background or my love of the 80's TV show Dallas, but I have always loved hair and makeup.  Even if only in my mind, I spent most of my formative years living by the phrase "the bigger the hair, the warmer the heart".  At the tender age of 3, I rocked the biggest, baddest afro puffs on the farm, y'all.  Makeovers were my sleepover bonding ritual of choice. So yes, dear reader, I have plenty in my hair/makeup arsenal.

Here are my five biggest, most helpful tips:

1.  Leave it to the professionals.  When you find someone you like, talk with them.  About your dress and theme for sure, but more importantly, about your style.  When you meet, bring your veil and accessories.  Doing this will give you and your stylist the best possible chance for success.

2.  Prepare your hair.  Be sure to get a conditioning treatment before your wedding.  My stylist recommends going in a week in advance.  If you are going to get a haircut, do it at least 3-4 weeks in advance.  This will give you a chance to grow accustomed to the new length.  And, as we all know, hair needs time to settle down and allow itself to be styled.

3.  Put it on trial.  Book yourself a bridal trial appointment with your stylist(s).  Your hair needs to be two things: exactly what you want and able to withstand the day.  It will be the best money you ever spend at a salon.  Ever.  Also, take pictures.  Front, back, sides, with the veil, without the veil...you get the point, yes? 

4.  Turn it down a notch.  Three days before your wedding is maybe not the best time to experiment with hot pink hair dye. Or to cut your hair into a rock and roll shag.  Now, if you want to try something bold and new, do it!  Just leave yourself enough time in case you decide the ice blue extensions weren't the best idea you've ever had.

5.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  My father's favorite saying...and ever so apropos.  You.  Are.  Beautiful.  Already.  Just as you are.  Try not to go overboard with the makeup.  You want to look like you, just an ever so slightly more fab version of you.  Your stylist should be able to enhance the best parts of that gorgeous face of yours without turning you into someone you don't recognize.

There you have it. I hope this helps.

Photo credit: This is ME.  Yikes.  Thank God for B&W.  And of course for Front Room Photography.  They say they aren't miracle workers, but they made me into something photogenic, didn't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment