15 December, 2011

Holiday Cheer in a Pinch: Paper Chains

Paper chains are some of the most easily recognizable and iconic homemade decorations.  I love them because they remind me of when I was a kid and how much I loved helping my Mom trim the tree and decorate the house for Christmas.  I think this is the perfect holiday craft to do with the littles.  It's fun easy, affordable and safe enough that kidlets can really take the lead.





Materials needed:

-paper
-scissors
-scotch tape (both single and double-sided)

1.  Gather your paper.  Magazines, books, gift wrap, metallics, construction paper, sheet music…don’t be afraid to get creative.  As long as the paper you’re using in your chains is roughly the same weight, feel free to mix it up a little!

2.  Cut paper into strips.  Keep in mind, the size of your strips will determine the size of your links.  I tend to make my strips wide enough to get about 5-6 strips out of an 8.5 x 11 page.  Tip: Consider coordinating colors mixed with pops of metallics for a modern twist.


3.  Tape ends of link together, making sure to interlock links as you go.

4.  Hang with double-sided tape.  Easy peasy.


As you can see, I've added a fun little foil snowflake for a little more zazz.  Feel free to jazz up your own chains!


No comments:

Post a Comment