21 December, 2010

You Asked For It: Invitations De-Mystified




Hey, Erin!

I love reading your blog.  I could use more recipes and how-to's though.  I need to know when to send my invites.  We skipped save the dates (oops!) and are now somewhat under the gun.  The wedding is in February, are we too late?  Will our attendance suffer? What do we do?  I'd appreciate some help!


Thanks for reading.  I'll tell ya, how to's will always be the bane of my existence.  One of my biggest bloggy resolutions for the fast approaching 2011 is to seriously amp up the number of how-to's and recipes.  I have a little idea in mind...

Okay, on to your question.  I know, I've said it a thousand times....but Save the Dates are a really helpful way to get the wedding invite ball rolling.  They can also buy you a little time, as well.

But enough of that.

Well, honey (can I call you honey?) I can safely say that you are not in a bind just yet.  I'd advocate for getting your invites out  ASAP, like yesterday.  Especially if you have a lot of out of town guests.  I say that because, Christmas is but days away and if you wait too much longer, your invites could get lost in, what I like to call, The Great Holiday Mail Kerfluffle. So here's what I would do:

1. Address and send out those invites.  Right now!  Go.  Run!

2. Follow up with a phone call.  You want to make sure people are getting your invites in a timely manner.  Have some extras on hand for lost or misplaced invites.  This is also a good time for you to answer any questions your guests might have, so familiarize yourself with the logistics of your wedding. If you are using a planner, you might ask for a short, one page document that lists the most important (and most commonly requested) info.  This is a great document to have on hand to e-mail to guests.

3.  Keep your eyes on the replies!  Because you are getting kind of a late start, you might consider keeping close tabs on your replies.  If your "reply by" date is fast approaching and your list of replies is lacking, reach out.  Get your attendants and SO to help you.  Contact your guests and ask them whether they plan to attend.

I hope this helps, doll! 

Photo Credit: Cracked Designs.  I love these so much, they literally kill me dead.  Awesome Website, Awesome Blog and Awesome Shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment