03 December, 2009

Holiday Treats and the Trimming of Trees

Squee! I can't believe the Holiday season is already upon us. I love this time of year. The Christmas Classics start popping up on TV and carols are everywhere! I am a Christmas nut (no, I don't have 25 sweaters bejeweled and covered with snowmen or Christmas light bulb earrings). My favorite Christmas Carol album is by Mario Lanza (opera star and heartthrob of the early 20th century).

Tomorrow, my little 9 to 5 is kicking off the festivities with a Tree Trimming Party. Another engagement will keep me from attending, but not from contributing. I will be making something wonderful and I thought I'd share the recipe with you. Maybe I can help spice up your holiday party!

Asian-Inspired Salmon Lollipuffs

You'll need:
One pound either frozen or fresh salmon fillet, cut into even cubes (about 1")
Pinch lemon juice
3-4 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
One package Puff Pastry sheets
1/3 c. Sweet Chili Sauce (Found at any speciality grocer or Asian market)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the salmon into a medium bowl. Add lemon juice (2-3 Tbsp) and half of the teriyaki sauce. Toss to coat evenly.

Unfold pastry onto lightly floured surface. Cut each sheet into 1/2" wide strips (about 16 in all). Cut the strips in half crosswise to make 64 strips. Place two strips in an "X" patten in the baking sheet (feel free to line the baking sheet with wax paper, I do). Place salmon cube in the middle of each "X". Fold the ends of the pastry in to cover the filling and press to seal. Flip the pastries over so that the seam side is down.

Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Pour the sweet chili sauce into a small bowl. Serve the pastries on wooden food skewers and arrange on a platter.

For fun, try filling a decorative glass vessel with table salt and put the lollipuffs on long bamboo skewers. This will create a chic, edible centerpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment