11 August, 2009

How To: Custom Color Chalkboard Paint


I am LOVING this right now! I stumbled upon a recipe for chalkboard paint. I know there are plenty of paint brands manufacturing this stuff right now and it's available online (like, here, here and here to name a few) but I like to do things myself. How else am I going to get exactly what I want?

You'll need:

flat finish latex paint (in any shade)
unsanded tile grout
Paint stirrer
paint roller
painter's tape
150 grain sandpaper
chalk
sponge

1. Combine 1 cup paint with 2 TBSP grout in a separate container. Use the paint stirrer to break up the clumps and distribute grout evenly.

2. Using the tape, outline area to be painted. Working in small sections apply paint with roller. Cover area with more than one coat to ensure even coverage. Let dry.

3. Smooth over the area with sandpaper and remove dust.

4. Rub the side of a piece of chalk over the entire surface. Remove residue with a slightly damp sponge.

I've been raring to make a grocery list/message center in my kitchen. I think it would be super cute! Functional too, but mostly really adorable! I'm thinking lemon yellow! Hopefully, I'll have pictures soon!

Photo credit: HudsonPaint dot com

1 comment:

  1. This has got to be one of the best tips EVER! :)
    Oh how fun! Sooo happy I didn't let dear hubby throw away the left over bathroom tile redo extras!
    What an exciting project to throw on the to-do list.

    ReplyDelete